|Get your time under control in commercial real estate brokerage.|
It is easy to waste time in commercial real estate brokerage. When that is happening you will find that the clients, listings, and deals all suffer. If you want to get somewhere quickly as a broker or agent, now would be a good time to look at your daily business system.
So to help with this topic, here are some of the biggest problems and diversions in our real estate industry:
- Having no plan is the most common issue. Starting the day without a plan and process is like starting your car without any idea of where you are heading (you waste petrol and create costs). You must have a day plan and it should include the 4 or 5 key things that are most important to you and your business. Those 4 or 5 things will not normally change. Every day you should do those things.
- Meetings can be a real time waster. Don’t call or attend a meeting unless you know that it has relevance to you and your business. When you have those meetings, keep them to an agenda and track the time. Any business meeting on a working day should be over in one hour.
- Random telephone calls coming in and the dreaded emails each day can divert your attention in a big way. Control your time by addressing these things once in the morning and once in the afternoon. At all other times get someone to take messages for you. The only exception to the rule will be if you have a deal or negotiation active.
- Unqualified prospects can take a lot of your time, and then you find that they are talking to a number of other agents. If you are going to meet with a prospect, qualify them across the telephone and if necessary get them to meet you in your office. If they are genuine they will come to your office. Get them to prove to you that they are ‘real’ in every respect.
- Long telephone calls can divert your thinking and your attention. If you are in the middle of a long telephone call, find a reason to cut it short and continue the conversation at the end of the day.
- A cluttered desk is a sign of confusion and random process. Any broker or agent with a desk that is ‘out of control’ will send all the wrong messages to clients and colleagues. Get your workplace under control. The same can be said for your motor vehicle. People judge you on what they see around you. Control that image and keep it professional.
So these simple things can be easily controlled with a bit of personal effort and focus. Don’t start a working day without a plan that keeps you on track and within your focus.